It’s my birthday weekend and I’m celebrating with this luscious adult-only treat – bourbon soaked apple spice cake with salted caramel. #ad – Thank you to Four Roses Bourbon for sponsoring today’s post. #bourbondessert #sponsored.
You know the old song, “It’s my Party and I’ll Cry if I Want to?” Well, it’s my birthday and I’ll bake what I want. I know you’re used to a lot of kid-friendly recipes here, but this one is adult-only. We moms need to treat ourselves, right?
This cake is so rich and moist – deliciously flavored with Four Roses Bourbon and drizzled with a salted caramel sauce. In a word – amazingly delicious… ok, so that was two words. But this cake is so amazing that it needs the extra adjective to describe it!
You’re going to want to pin or print this Bourbon Soaked Apple Spice Cake with Salted Caramel recipe for sure!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup for the apples
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice blend (I use homemade http://jugglingactmama.com/2014/09/homemade-apple-pie-spice-mix.html)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 4 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon bourbon
- Pinch salt
- 10 cup bundt pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour the bundt pan.
- Whisk the flour, 1 1/3 cup of the sugar, 1 teaspoon of the pie spice, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the apples with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pie spice. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and applesauce together in another bowl. Whisk in the sour cream, orange zest and juice, and bourbon. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined - lumps are OK!
- Using a slotted spoon, scatter about 1/2 cup of the apples in the bottom of the bundt pan. Put about 1/3 of the batter on top. Repeat, alternating apples and batter, but make sure you end with batter.
- Bake the cake until it pulls away for the sides of the pan and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and invert onto a rack placed over a baking sheet. Cool.
- To make the caramel: Stir the sugar, corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, swirling the pan but not stirring, until the sugar is dark amber-colored caramel, about 15 minutes. Pull pan from the heat and carefully pour in the cream (take care it will splatter). Stir in the pecans, bourbon, and salt. Cool until caramel thickens and has the texture of syrup. Evenly pour over the cake and cool until set.
- Original Recipe From Food Network Kitchens - Adapted by Angela Paris - Juggling Act Mama
- This cake can be made up to a day ahead.
For the apple pie spice mix, I use my homemade blend. It’s so much less expensive than the store-bought variety. You can get the recipe here.
For the bourbon, I used Four Roses. This yellow bourbon pairs really well with the apple and spice flavors in the cake. It adds moisture and depth of flavor to what could be just an ordinary apple spice cake. Certainly if you were making this for children or someone that doesn’t drink alcohol, you could use an apple cider in place of the bourbon. It changes the flavor, of course.
Latest posts by Ang Paris (see all)
- How to Get Free Admission to Your Local Zoo or Aquarium - April 26, 2017
- Best Cinco de Mayo Cocktails - April 25, 2017
- Salted Caramel Mocha Protein Smoothie - April 24, 2017