You can’t go wrong with this classic Banana Cream Pie recipe with a twist – homemade graham cracker crust, scratch-made whipped cream and topped with toasted coconut flakes!
Banana Cream Pie is one of my Dad’s favorite treats, and this recipe reminds me of him. It’s sweet with layers of flavor. You can’t beat a pie that’s got a homemade crust and homemade whipped topping, right?
This is a classic recipe that goes way back to the early 1900’s and there are many variations. Fun Fact; Banana Cream Pie was ranked the number one favorite dessert among the soldiers of the United States Armed Services in the 1950′s.
- 3 C whole milk
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 1/3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp banana flavoring
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 small, ripened bananas
- 2.5 C graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 C heavy cream
- 2+ Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- In a bowl mix your graham cracker crumbs and melted butter then press into a pie plate.
- Scald your milk ( Suggestion: Place your milk in your microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not allow your milk to boil.)
- Combine your scalded milk, sugar, flour and salt, whisking it together until mixed in a medium to large pot over medium heat.
- Continue over the medium heat to whisk until the sauce starts to thicken….8-10 minutes until it is a pudding like texture.
- As it thickens, reduce the heat but continue to stir for at least 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk your egg yolks in another bowl then add a Tbsp of your heated pudding and stir to temper your eggs avoiding it to curdle.
- Add the tempered eggs to the pudding continuing it over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir to combine the butter, banana flavoring and vanilla.
- Slice your remaining bananas placing them on top of your prepared graham cracker crust.
- Pour your banana pudding over the graham cracker crust next place it in your fridge to chill for several hours.
- Whip the heavy cream, add the white sugar and vanilla as it begins to thicken.
- Once whipped and fluffy place the whipped cream on the chilled pie.
- For extra goodness sprinkle toasted coconut on the top of your pie.