What a week it’s been with all the fabulous giveaways happening around here, huh? The fun isn’t stopping yet – today, I’ve got a fabulous Slow Cooker Honey Chicken Recipe & #SlowCookerMeals Giveaway for you! I can’t wait for you to check out this new recipe I cobbled together, and enter for a chance to win this amazing slow cooker!
But before we get to that, I want to share with you my recipe for Slow Cooker Honey Chicken Recipe – this has become a new favorite in our house! We received the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker With Spoon/Lid to review and I wanted to try cooking something that I knew well to see how it compared to my old Crock Pot. I made my Slow Cooker Potato Soup and was really happy with the way it turned out – maybe even better than normal!
Being able to set the slow cooker on a timer means no more burned edges, which no one likes eating or cleaning! The slow cooker automatically changes it’s setting to WARM once the timer goes off – how cool is that?
I was really excited to try a new dish in my new slow cooker! I did some research on honey chicken recipes, and ended up tweaking recipes from Table for Two and Damn Delicious. I might be kind of a snob, but as a rule I don’t care to cook with ketchup. I decided instead to use tomato paste and rice wine vinegar instead. I omitted the oil and added additional honey. Adding the carrots adds a nice color and brightness to the dish, too. I’m really pleased with the way this turned out. It’s got a little kick from the red pepper flakes, and a whole lot of sweetness that equals pure deliciousness!
- 1-1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tablespoons water
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- Sesame seeds and Scallions for garnish (optional)
- Whisk together the tomato paste, rice wine vinegar, honey, and soy sauce until smooth.
- Add in the diced vegetables and minced garlic. Add red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on low to cook for 5 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add the carrots and remove the chicken. Use two forks to pull it apart. Return to the slow cooker.
- In a small dish, make a slurry with cornstarch and water. This will thicken the sauce.
- Turn the heat up to high for 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice with a garnish of sesame seeds and scallions if desired.
- Note: You could add the carrots to the pot, but I find that they get too mushy for my taste.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think – I’m betting it becomes a new family favorite just like at my house!
Enter to win a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker!
Disclosure: I received the Set ‘n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker With Spoon/Lid from Hamilton Beach for purposes of reviewing, however, all opinions are my own. This giveaway is sponsored by Hamilton Beach, and I am a Brand Ambassador for Hamilton Beach.
Don’t forget to enter ALL the fabulous giveaways that are a part of my Birthday Celebration Week:
Love slow cooker meals? Try these other great recipes: